MINNEAPOLIS -- Chef Ali Koroglu and owner Adam Sieve from Hazel's Northeast joined KARE Saturday in the kitchen to whip up a tasty breakfast..
The Northeast hotspot serves up breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily using local products and seasonal ingredients.
Quiche dough & batter recipe:
For the dough:
· 1.5 sticks cold butter
· 2.5 c all purpose flour
· 2 eggs
· ¾ c sour cream
· Pinch salt
1. Put flour in a medium bowl or kitchen aid stand mixer and stir in the salt. Using your fingers, pinch in small pieces of the butter and coat with flour. It should resemble coarse meal when finished.
2. With the dough hook attached, add eggs one at a time and sour cream and mix on low until a ball has formed. If mixing by hand, use a fork to stir in the eggs and sour cream, then finish with your hands until a ball forms. You may need to sprinkle a bit of flour if the dough is very sticky.
3. Flatten into a round disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about an hour.
4. When cool, roll on a floured surface to make a circle about 2 inches in diameter wider than a pie tin. Place the circle in the tin and fold the remaining dough behind itself on the edges. You may pinch the edges at this time if you would like, but isn't necessary.
5. Pierce the dough with a fork and return to the refrigerator.
6. You can now fill it with anything you like. Starting with a cheese of your liking, followed by various cooked vegetables or meats, or combinations of both. Ham, spinach, leeks, and Swiss is an example. Bacon, mushroom, tomato, & cheddar another. Have fun with it…
For the batter:
· 8 eggs
· 2 c. Heavy cream
· Pinch nutmeg
· Salt & pepper to taste
1. Whisk all ingredients in a medium size bowl and pour over your filled quiche shell.
2. Bake at 350 for around 30 minutes, depending on how much "stuff" is inside.
3. Cool to room temp, and then cool in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. It is very important to allow the quiche to set before cutting it; otherwise the filling will just fall out and make a mess.
4. Serve with fruit or a simple salad and enjoy