The University says it will hold those responsible accountable, but it noted that a small percentage committed the unruly behavior.


MINNEAPOLIS - Armed with zip ties and nonlethal weapons, police stuck to their word cracking down on revelers who flooded into the streets of Dinkytown following the Minnesota Golden Gophers loss in the NCAA Championship hockey game.

Nineteen people were arrested as police got the situation under control on Saturday night.

On Sunday morning, the cleanup process began.

Street cleaners came through Dinkytown and the surrounding neighborhoods overnight cleaning a wild night of partying. The area was back to normal on Sunday, and everyone was pleased that even after another wild night, there were no reports of injuries and only a few reports of property damage.

Police had a plan in place and with no injuries reported and only a few reports of property damage, their plan worked.

"I get you're excited," said sophomore Jack Morrisett. "When it turns violent, I don't get it."

Win or lose, it seemed some students were set on this type of expression.

"It's a bunch of people having a good time supporting our team, not malicious," said one student in response to students flooding the streets of Dinkytown.

Police promised a large presence and warned students ahead of the weekend that even loitering nearby could result in arrests. Still officers in riot gear were not enough to stop some out of control students.

There were two known incidents of arson, but there was not any reported damage to businesses.

Student Tanner Chagorsky told KARE 11 that he witnessed a car being damaged.

"I saw a guy rip a sign out of the ground and throw it through a car. I got some pics of that," he said.

Overall, police kept order and the crowd dispersed in the early morning hours. All that's left are a few reminders and stories from witnesses.

There were also some who still wonder why this type of thing has to happen.

"If you're going to riot, don't riot over hockey, riot over cost of tuition," exclaimed one student.

Some students said the police only intensified the situation.

U of M President Eric Kaler, who was in Philadelphia for the game, was unavailable for comment on Sunday, but the university released a statement.

"It is important to remember that we have more than 50,000 students at the University's Twin Cities campus. Only a small percentage of those gathered in Dinkytown and an even smaller number engaged in unacceptable behavior."

The statement vowed to hold any students involved in unacceptable behavior accountable.

University officials went on to say that students could face punishment ranging from a warning to expulsion.

They not only thanked the police officers who were out in full force, but the Gophers men's hockey team on a great season, despite the loss.

Show Thumbnails
Show Captions
Read or Share this story: